Wednesday, October 3, 2007

You're So Vain


As I've stated before - I'm trying to get healthier. For me, part of being healthier means losing a bit of weight. Out of all of the reasons why I should be motivated to lose weight - better blood sugar control, healthier heart, longer life - the number one motivator for my right now: looking good in a wedding dress. What is wrong with me?!

I hate saying it out loud, it sounds so vain, but it's the truth. Although I am striving for all of the other reasons mentioned, that unforgiving wedding dress (which I have not even picked out yet, but I'm certain that it will, in fact, be unforgiving) is my fuel.

Operation "Skinny in a Wedding Dress" has begun today. Don't worry - I hate the word "skinny." I do NOT want to look like the woman in this photo. Look at how thin her arms are! I have more of an athletic build, and I'm perfectly okay with that. However, I'd like to look (and be) healthy for the wedding day. Let's rename it "Operation Healthy in a Wedding Dress." I have one year to get healthier.

I feel that this will be a bit of a struggle, not only because losing weight and getting healthy is hard work, but because there are a few other things working against me. One such enemy - insulin resistance. I HATE insulin resistance! I'm sure everyone reading this knows the basics of insulin resistance. Here is my doc's simpliest explanation: my body isn't properly using all of the insulin that I take. Therefore, I'm taking more than my body should need. Insulin is a hormone that stores fat. All of that "extra" insulin that's not being used is pretty much just storing extra fat. Here's the kicker - the only way to cut down on insulin resistance, is to lose weight. However, losing weight is easier without insulin resistance. Such a fun little game my body is playing.

Obviously, the less carbs I eat, the less insulin I need to take. So, today marked the first day of my lower carb meals.

I'm going to make an appointment with a nutritionist soon to straighten this all out and do it the correct and healthy way. In the meantime, if anyone reading has gone through the same thing - any suggestions for me?

1 comment:

Nicole P said...

Hey S - "Operation look healthy in wedding dress..." This post, though I know it wasn't fully meant to, made me snark out loud. So funny... But I *get* it. Every girl that wants to get married wants to look be-u-tiful on her big day... :)

Re: insulin resistance. Have you talked with your doc about Symlin or other drugs like it? Symlin can reduce the amount of insulin you need to take at meals and help with eliminating post-prandial highs - a side effect of the medication is weight loss... My doc and I tried it just for the side effect, as I'm not insulin resistant, and although I lost weight, I really struggled with keeping from having lows on it - BUT, if you have insulin resistance, I hear it can be a real friend. I'd encourage you to look into it... :)

Also - I've found that for me - a person who's always struggled with losing weight, getting really on top of exercise (read: I go to the gym and do cardio for at least 45-60 minutes 5 days a week - and weight training and pilates at least 3 times a week) has resulted in the loss I'd been looking for. Although it's a real pain sometimes, it has made all the difference.

Talk more if you like by email...

- N