Wednesday, September 26, 2007

No More Fooling Around

I've been a bad blogger. I have a couple of posts here and there but nothing that I have been making the time to keep up with. Today, I vowed to change that...again. But, I feel as though I will keep my promise this time. No more fooling around - from this day forward, I will be a true blogger.

Let me start by quickly explaining the blog name "Is That a Beeper?" I have to first thank Kerri at
SUM for making me remember this story due to her recent post. Unbeknownst to them, her and Nicole have recently fueled me to start being serious about posts (and diabetes, of course).

I've worn an insulin pump since high school. As far as my diabetes management goes, the choice to get a pump was the best move I've ever made and I'm a huge advocate for the pump. However, wearing the pump was the first time I remember truly feeling like people could now "see" my diabetes.

Until I got the pump, I was open about my diabetes with friends and teachers, but new acquaintances rarely knew I had diabetes until I got to know them better. As so many pumpers have learned, sometimes revealing your pump on the outside of your clothes is not the best fashion statement. Especially in high school, when your desire to "fit in" is strong.

As a teenager who, let's just say, developed fairly early, my favorite place to hide my pump was in my bra. It was very well hidden and comfortable for the most part. I felt safe with my pump in my favorite hiding spot...until I had to work on a high school project with my good friend Drew (who I later dated in college and is now my fiance, but that's a story for another post).

Cardboard and construction paper were strewn about the basement floor. Markers of every color were at our disposal. It was your typical high school project. As I was on the floor resting on my elbows to try to get a better angle to do some serious drawing and coloring for this project, Drew sat across from me and suddenly asked, "Is that a beeper in your bra?"

I was, for a split second, mortified. To my surprise, instead of fumbling over my words to try to explain my insulin pump, I simply answered, "Why are you looking down my shirt?" Before he got a chance to answer, I realized what a stupid question this was considering he was male and we were teenagers. "It's an insulin pump," I said.

"Oh. Cool. What does it do?"


The embarrassment subsided a few seconds into my explanation.

The "is that a beeper in your bra" debacle will always stand out in my head. I've since learned that a short moment of embarrassment is a small price to pay for good diabetes management.

Speaking of good diabetes management - being a better blogger is not the ONLY thing I need to work on these days. In order to keep my promise to myself, I'll be posting again soon on that issue.

3 comments:

Nicole P said...

Oh, I love this post and that story, Steph! No more foolin' around for you, doll... Get to it! Talk soon. N

Anonymous said...

Great post!

Your absolutely right, a little embarassment is a small price to pay for better health and a longer life.

And hey, it doesn't seem to have phased your project partner if hes now your fiance!
Congrats!

Anonymous said...

Great post!

Your absolutely right, a little embarassment is a small price to pay for better health and a longer life.

And hey, it doesnt seem to have phased your project partner if hes now your fiancee!
Congrats!